182 It will be Completely Reorientating
We discuss how responding to Jesus’ invitation is completely reorientating. The impact is immediate, it gives us a new purpose, and it is drastic!
‘One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers—Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew—throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” And they left their nets at once and followed him. A little farther up the shore he saw two other brothers, James and John, sitting in a boat with their father, Zebedee, repairing their nets. And he called them to come, too. They immediately followed him, leaving the boat and their father behind. ‘
‘Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of these men who heard what John said and then followed Jesus. Andrew went to find his brother, Simon, and told him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means “Christ” ). Then Andrew brought Simon to meet Jesus. Looking intently at Simon, Jesus said, “Your name is Simon, son of John—but you will be called Cephas” (which means “Peter” ). ‘
‘Peter said, “We’ve left our homes to follow you.” “Yes,” Jesus replied, “and I assure you that everyone who has given up house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the Kingdom of God, will be repaid many times over in this life, and will have eternal life in the world to come.” ‘
Share your story about deciding to follow Jesus.
- What were the circumstances around your decision to follow Jesus?
- How did it impact you in the short term?
- How drastic of a difference is your life today as a result of following Jesus?
- Where are you with God?
- What role does Jesus play in your relationship with God?
- In what ways has your relationship with God changed over time?
- What does your next step in following Jesus look like?
- What does it mean to “follow Jesus” in your daily life?
- What specific actions do you plan to take to grow closer to Jesus?
- What is most difficult, scary, or intimidating about the next step?
- What are some potential obstacles that might hinder you from taking the next step?
- How can you overcome those obstacles and continue to follow Jesus?
- How can your group support you?
At the end of your discussion, go around the group and ask for prayer requests.