183 | Give Up Your Own Way
Today we wrestle with the shocking statement of Jesus, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me.”
21Jesus warned his disciples not to tell anyone who he was. 22“The Son of Man must suffer many terrible things,” he said. “He will be rejected by the elders, the leading priests, and the teachers of religious law. He will be killed, but on the third day he will be raised from the dead.”
23Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me. 24If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 25And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed? 26If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels. 27I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see the Kingdom of God.”
Giving Up your life
- Mark 8:35
- Matthew 8:18-22, 10:39, 16:25
- John 12:25
- By giving up your life, you save it. Luke 9:25
- Eternity John 12:25, Luke 18:29-30
- Honour John 12:26
- Reward Matthew 10:40-42, Luke 18:29-30
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
- What might God be calling you to give up? What would be difficult about giving it up and why?
- As you give this thing up, what do you need of God?
- How can your group, mentors, and other Christian friends help and support you?
At the end of your discussion, go around the group and ask for prayer requests.